...and the Littlefield pilgrims of New England came to the Southern Tier of New York. They had children, and grandchildren and great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren and I am one of them. My roots are there, no different than the roots of the trees that have shaded my family's graves and grown as I have grown during my lifetime. It is my thoughtful spot, a place that brings me calm and peace and where I feel surrounded by those I have loved so dearly, and where I will lay my head to rest when my temporary human being experience comes to an end. So many of us are there. My great-grandma, who I was named for, my great-grandpa, who had "the patience of Job" in my grandmother's words, my grandma Gopie - whose love is still palpable to me to this day, my Aunt Betty - a sweet little girl who died too young, my great-aunt Noni who created memories for us all, and my sweet baby brother Doug. How could a part of my heart not be here? Somehow, it doesn't make me sad to be there - although I have cried many times during my visits - it makes me feel safe and content and close to the spirits of those who will always live on in my heart and memories. I loved to sit on that cement bench through every stage of my life, and in my times of trouble, I close my eyes and put myself there, and I feel safe and at home. "Bury me not on the lone prairie"...but when my time has come, take me back to Barnard.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience!
...and the Littlefield pilgrims of New England came to the Southern Tier of New York. They had children, and grandchildren and great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren and I am one of them. My roots are there, no different than the roots of the trees that have shaded my family's graves and grown as I have grown during my lifetime. It is my thoughtful spot, a place that brings me calm and peace and where I feel surrounded by those I have loved so dearly, and where I will lay my head to rest when my temporary human being experience comes to an end. So many of us are there. My great-grandma, who I was named for, my great-grandpa, who had "the patience of Job" in my grandmother's words, my grandma Gopie - whose love is still palpable to me to this day, my Aunt Betty - a sweet little girl who died too young, my great-aunt Noni who created memories for us all, and my sweet baby brother Doug. How could a part of my heart not be here? Somehow, it doesn't make me sad to be there - although I have cried many times during my visits - it makes me feel safe and content and close to the spirits of those who will always live on in my heart and memories. I loved to sit on that cement bench through every stage of my life, and in my times of trouble, I close my eyes and put myself there, and I feel safe and at home. "Bury me not on the lone prairie"...but when my time has come, take me back to Barnard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment