Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Big Sister, Little Brother

It's who I am.  It set the stage.  I am the big sister of little brothers.  Maybe it's not this way for everyone, but in my family, I protected and watched them fiercely.  I had two little brothers, one is gone.  I thank God every day that I still have Todd Matthew. I remember the day he was born like it was yesterday.  He has been my "buddy" for almost 45 years.  We have been through hard times together. We have been through hard times apart.  We lost our way, but we have never lost our connection that goes to the core of my soul.  When Todd was born,  I was 6 yrs old.  I thought I wanted a sister.  I remember being told I had another brother.  I wasn't disappointed, rather felt more deeply ingrained into the role I was born into - the big sister to two little brothers.  I can't imagine life without him.  I had to think about that possibility a couple of months ago when we had a health scare.  I didn't do very well.  He is irreplaceable.  I am proud of my relationship with him.  We lost our way for awhile, but the most beautiful gift is that we never missed a beat.  We have always had so much fun together and had a rare relationship that was a combination of siblings and best friends.  I was there when he came home from being born.  If I die before him, I need him to be there when I die.  I love you little brother.  Don't ever doubt or forget it.









No comments:

Post a Comment