Monday, April 2, 2012

Meet my Heart Dog, George Bailey O'Connor

      He is my "be careful what you wish for" boy.  My Scottie, Riley, had chosen Jerry as "his person" and I was chopped liver.  Then I left NY alone and moved to Oregon.  I missed Jerry, Riley and our home.  I always knew I wanted a liver and white Springer boy.  And so my obsession began.  I looked everywhere - breeders, Craigslist, classifieds, etc, etc.  Lots of leads, but no hits.  Finally, I followed up an ad in the Oregonian and they had 2 male liver and whites.  I had a feeling this was it, but had to go to Phoenix for a few days for work.  They sent me photos and I picked one and asked them if they would hold him for me.  They did.  When I got back to Oregon, I headed out to the country, under the auspice of Mt. Hood, to get my boy.  When I got there and saw the 2 boys in person, I wasn't as sure anymore about which one I wanted to adopt.  I took pictures of each, sent them to Jerry and asked him to help me decide.  He said, if you want happy and playful looking, take the one you had them hold.  But if you are going for the "Gunnie look" that's the other one, for sure.  I looked again, and knew he was right.  I adopted the "other" little boy - thank God he was still there!  How could I have had them hold the one I didn't choose and leave my George Bailey to be adopted by someone else???!!!  I knew he was meant for me, just like I had always dreamed ofHe was my heart dog.  We began a really hard journey together.  I raised him alone, in a tiny, dumpy apartment while I was depressed and acutely lonely.  I didn't have the energy or the patience, and he was a typical active, full of life Springer.  But he was mine, and you know what - he loved me.  Really, truly, unconditionally loved me.  I am forever amazed at how beautiful he is, how loving he is, and his undying loyalty.  He is mine and I am his.  Go back up to the first sentence...you may be wondering why he is my "be careful what you wish for dog".   Because Riley "chose" Jerry, I wished for a dog who would choose me, want to be close to me and give me kisses.  I got that a hundred fold with my Bails.  Kisses - you even mention the word and you get an endless supply.  He can't give or receive enough love - exactly what I dreamed of and needed.  Yes, he is "over the top" sometimes and I actually need to tell him "all done".  All 50 lbs of him wants to sit on my lap like he did when he was a baby and kiss me endlessly. 

      I have lots of catching up to do on this blog, so this was your official introduction to my George Bailey.  He is now 19 mos. old, looking like a mature dog, but still has a heart of gold as big as the sky.  As Clarence Oddbody said "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives." My own George Bailey has touched my life and it will never, ever be the same.  He has taken up residence in my heart forever.  

4 comments:

  1. I remember your journey. So glad you found your "guy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something very special about a dog and "their" person. My most spiritual moments has been in the company of my dog, I believe my scout is my angel and I his. And could it be the absolute proof that god exists And walks by our side has been right in front of us this whole time? After all God spelled backwards is dog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK....your blog of course reminded me of my Sidney, and what I had to give up for an Oriental carpet. Thank God I found a loving home for him. Can't seem to find one for me yet. Also made me think of my precious Zoe-Zoe. I have never been loved by anyone or any animal as much as this little girl. I had no intention of getting another dog so soon after the loss of Cody, but it was meant to be. We had 16 puppies to choose from. Zoey was 1 of a 2 puppy litter with her Sissy Daisy, and as soon as we picked up all 1.5lbs of her, and she snuggled up against Zach's neck, we knew. She was too young to bring home, so we had visits twice a week, and Zach and I slept with a baby receiving blanket each night and brought it to her with each visit so she would be used to our scent. When she came home, she never cried, but snuggled up against me and slept all night, which she has done ever since. Shortly after finding our Zoey, I was diagnosed with this illness. I truly believe God sent her to me when I needed her most Now of course, I am wondering what happened to Bailey's brother? Love u BFF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you wrote a comment on my blog. I believe Zoey is your angel. Did you read Todd's comment on this post? If you didn't you need to. I have often wondered about Bailey's brother too, and what his personality is like. I hope he found someone who loves him as much as I love his silly brother. Love u too BFF. Thanks for writing on here.

      Delete